Watercolour painting was my favourite hobby
...some of my good work here..plenty time on our hands in those days
London Majesty --
Memories   1953  to  1955

The new joining crew were called into the head office - 8 Balfour Place.  The office was the town house of Dorothy Paget, a racehorse owner of repute.  After meeting the Captain we all went to the Coburg court, for the night, then in the morning we were off to Victoria station to catch the 1000 train to Dover then on to Paris where we changed trains to get the Blue train with sleepers for us.  The evening meal was hilarious, we were on 2 tables and with the main course we failed to identify some of the contents, we had artichokes, pale green laminated structure.  The 3rd engineer asked us what was it so I said Frogs legs, this caused him to go as green as the artichokes and head for the toilet at speed.  He did  not return to finish the meal.

We arrived at Marseilles at 0520 and it took 3 taxi trips to get officers and baggage to Port de Bouc - the village of Martinique - there we found that the ship had been delayed  so we had to find accommodation at the local hotel.

We had to wait, so we explored the village and found that half of the village was closed, the other half across the canal was open everybody of the locals were on parade, but towards evening we had all settled at a bistro and after some persuasion we managed to get French roll sandwich - but only cheese was available which the 3rd engineer was not keen on so when he was at the toilet some king chap put a slice of soap to replace the cheese - when he returned and tried the sandwich - ugh! he was  ill on the spot.
    Some of us returned to the hotel, the others were staying out.  In the morning some  consternation caused  by the hotel staff finding large enamel advert signs and flowers from a wall religious point in an engineers room, this required tact by the captain with both the hotel management and gendarme before peace was restored.

When we joined the ship we found that we would be bound for the Persian Gulf, and as we had a couple of days before joining the ship we had already shaken down together, in the evening we started to have seances, the results were humorous, we contacted the spirit of an 18th century seaman  whose language was choice, we were kept in tucks of laughter with various spirits, we varied the people sitting in and I remember when we had arrived at Port Said sitting in for a few minutes before going on watch and asking would I get into trouble if I was a few minutes late (talking to him the 18th century sailor)  going on watch - the glass was most specific what the Chief officer would do to me.  So I was on watch on time.  We were having the usual 2 days off charter every 3 months for boiler cleaning and in this case as we were in Port Said the ship was being painted round.  We as apprentices armed with a torch were on "anti-sabotage watches"  checking to see if any Egyptian frogmen were fixing limpet mines to the ship - as if we could see them or it they were seen what could we do other than raise the alarm.

The seances continued as we went down the Red Sea but they were getting a bit serious by now.  Alan's girlfriend had whilst he was on leave had a seance and been told that she had TB. -a  week later she was a
patient in the hospital where she nursed, with suspected TB.   Later itproved to be nothing of the sort but we were away and did not know it at the time.  The 4th engineer was told by the "glass" that his father was very ill but he would get home in time!

We naturally thought someone was pushing the glass so we devised tests, we varied the seating and who sat at the table, lights on or off. all or some blind folded, letters of the alphabet in order, mixed or random around the table anywhere.  With a non participating secretary noting what happened and not logging what people expected the next letter would be.  Then we also in turn asked questions to which no one else in the group could know the answer," where does cousin Fred live - answer Toronto or Teesport ?"
others would not know.  The result of this exercise when analysed after a couple of weeks was that the person most closely involved was subconsciously pushing the glass.  The glass seemed to be very active if it
had been kept in the fridge prior to use and taken to the polished table as quickly as possible, then hot fingers and higher ambient temperature caused the air in the glass to expand and make a hover craft of the glass.

The whole seance sessions were brought to a halt at this time by a banning by the Captain of activity on "Mr Ship"   2 months later when we were loading at Mena we got no mail, this helped the 4th engineer to stop
worrying about his father however when we got to the canal he got a letter from his mother to say father is ill, then when we anchored off Swansea the pilot station called us up by Aldis lamp - prepare to discharge and disembark 4th engineer due to serious illness at home, later we heard that his father was critically ill in hospital.

This time in Mena we apprentices realised how popular the place was becoming for us, all it was a crooked T jetty capable of taking some 8 tankers.  We could not go ashore which in any case was as far as we
could see one long sand dune with no vegetation at all, at night the sky was lightened by huge gas fares.  On the jetty however was a corrugated iron hut, a few bare chairs and tables, some magazines which could be read on the premises only.  But the high spots were:  The local sheikh had
financed the supply of FREE iced lime juice  for apprentices - Heaven!!  We could meet other ships apprentices in air conditioned surroundings and swop yarns.  You would think that your Chief Officer is tough!! Well ours.........  or call that bad weather, this time coming across the Bight or
whilst some ships kept religiously to the permitted areas for tank cleaning others were known to keep watch for aircraft, Navy ships or submarines and if there were non visible tank cleaning washes were pumped overside - even in the English Channel - the advantage to a ship not caught being "calm" sea and time saved which could be used by the crew for other work and also ship became gas free that much quicker and therefore she was safer.

Whilst in the Gulf the electrician who had been somewhat strange from the beginning started to get noticeably worse even by our tolerant standards, his claims to be a communist and his political rantings had caused no comment but when he was heard talking to 6 girls in his cabin - well midnight or not invisible girls was a sign that there was some sort of a problem.

We were heading bank "Lands End for orders" when one of our calassi went sick - really sick, he had not been to the toilet for 7 days at that time so we had to divert the ship into Aden to get him into hospital for an
operation.  I remember that our charterers had been most upset at the diversion and the ships was taken off charter for 3 hours as a result.

After the Canal we headed towards Gibraltar as usual, the weather at this time became decidedly rough in fact as we came to the West Med  The Empire Wind rush was in trouble,  the radio operator was kept very busy, we were going to the assistance of the Empire Windrush.  When the ship controlling her rescue
H.M.S. Whirlwind said she had all the assistance he needed  we heard of a small coaster in trouble, we went 180 miles to answer her distress,  we were 12 hours off course and BP passed no adverse comment at all!!

We eventually got orders to go to the Isle of Grain to discharge but on arrival we had 3 days awaiting a berth.  It was pitiful to see the Sparks - he was on the bridge for hours and hours on end, nose pressed up against the bridge window looking for a launch that would be brining his wife and other officers wives to the ship, it was the longest 3 days of his life or so it seemed to us. Isle of Grain discharges were counted as mixed blessings by the apprentices, it meant we did have a chance for the mail to catch up with
us, against that Head office superintendents would visit the ship so prior to arriving we would be several days be tidying the ship  making good paint work, cutting in was a job which used to catch me, painting the angle iron around the accommodation, black sutting or squatting on cold steel decks all day in windy conditions.Hands became frozen and all joints stiff - so stiff that to get up one had to drag oneself off the deck by using the hand rail.  This was a prelude only. 

The discharge watches were the same as any port but if we wanted to go ashore it meant a long walk to the refinery gate and wait for a bus which only went every 1 or 2 hours, long haul to Gillingham/Chatham and what grey places they were.  The beer was  horrible, the sawdust was last nights furniture, there appeared to have been little changes since the time of "Press gangs".  We only went in to buy biscuits  e.g. 3.1/2lb orange chocolate biscuits for 30'- between the two apprentices, or cakes whatever our pay off money would allow went on food to supplement our ship diet.To accomplish even this change in routine we went usually 36 hours without sleep between berthing and undocking, half of the time we were doing hard physical work swinging valves.  It became a routine, the first 24 hours OK , no problem, then there was a pain barrier to be gone through when especially at 3 - 4am the eyelids  seemed to be coated on the inside with sand.
Then as one came up to 36 hours the legs became heavier and one could miss a rung on the ladders if not careful, the palms of hands became raw to the touch and puffy at the end one felt as if the soles of your feet weremade of hot tender sponge.  Your teeth were made of rubber and even the hair on your head seemed to hurt and your skin had the nerves on the outside

On loading watches you had getting drunk on benzene fumes to contend with, especially when using the  6 ft sword sticks for taking ullages of tanks near the mid ship accommodation where there was no breeze to clear the fumes.  The first sign was slight buzzing in the ears, then light headedness, then it all became a joke, everything became funny, we would start to hum a tune, then the funny version words would creep in.
The periods after 24 hours used to pass very quickly, the reason being that unknowingly ones sense of timing had been lost  e.g. taking ships when draining a tank, bent over the sounding pipe one would have noted
say 18"  then waited a while for the stripping pump to do its job, taking soundings every 5 minutes, but in extreme cases I have found that people could be statue like for 45 mins between soundings - swear that all was going to plan until asked what was the last sounding and when  answer 12" at 0310.  I was just going to take another sounding now it must be almost 0315 when in fact it was 0355.

The discharge completed we always had hopes of some sleep before tank cleaning started, for the first tank cleaning watch was physically hard going setting up,   we were not always lucky we were known to start tank cleaning into the centre clop tank.  Whilst the pilot was still on board or as soon as he left.Being on BP charter we headed back towards the Gulf when going down the Red Sea and securing said he wanted to go home.  He somehow managed to drag himself and passed out on gangway watch when we were bunkering in Aden.  We tried to get a shore doctor but failed so we sent a launch over the Gothic which had been doing service on the Queens visit to Australia  the Gothic doctor came over and packed the securing off to hospital  when we got to Mena the crew in total were changed , we thought this very funny.

The remainder of the voyage was a return to the UK - this time to Swansea A marvellous port for us, except the next berth had the burnt remains of a crew still visible on the Atlantic Duchess?  which had blow up
a few days prior to our arrival.  We were near to town and visited the Bush for an evening meal, the Mack worth for drinks,  Burtons upstairs for dancers with the telephonist from the GPO with whom we had made
arrangements.  Boots was another source of talent.

We went next to Baniyas to load at sea moorings, on our watch below we decided to go for a swim.  I could not swim, the water was 100ft plus deep but the 3rd mate was a gold medal/ water polo swimmer said he would look after me  In I went,  I could do 3 strokes on the turn and get back to the gangway and climb up.  The Greek apprentice 22 year old  17 stone thought it would be fun to scrag me in the water until the 3rdmate rescued me then swan over the Greek until he was half drowned himself. We discharged the cargo in Corytown and
went on leave.

  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I rejoined the London Majesty when she was in Falmouth dry-dock, but the journey from Colwyn Bay to Falmouth took 14 hours and involved  6 changes of trains. It only took us a day to get to Swansea where we were to load Cycle oil this was yellow/green in colour and smelt like caged tome cats  ugh, the loading was very slow compared with crude oil loading, and this gave us time for shore labour to come on board and replace a cracked liner found in the main engine.Before reaching the discharge port of Cochinn we fell in with one of Moss' tankers  Lumina? and for several weeks we were to be rarely out of sight of each other and developed quite a friendship by conversations using the Aldiss lamp.

The actual moorings at Cochin required us to hang off our anchor break the cable and use it to secure to a single buoy.  This operation proved in the first part at least not to be as easy as it appeared in seamanship
manuals, for despite having recently come from dry-dock the shackles had not been broken at least the one we wanted had not been broken.  We started by hanging off the anchor as we steamed full speed across the Indian Ocean - no problem - but to break the shackle was a different proposition.We started by using a 14lb hammer on the pin - no movement as we soaked with release oil and asked the engineers for heavier hammers, the responded in strength but still no progress, by now time was passing and we were getting desperate, we even suggested making a fire on the focsle to heat the cable - this idea was vetoed as we were a loaded tanker.In the end we decided to hacksaw the shackle  but which part the wide
part where it would be "softer" or the narrower harder bow?Never mind its all the same make a rota and take turns to hacksaw at top speed until you drop - keep the blades coming, this we did and the job was
done in time for the pilot to board.

The pilot that boarded was remarkable sharkskin silk whites and an enormous stomach, or lower belly actually, there must have been something seriously wrong with him physically, normal body except the
area under his belt,  an enormous bulge, larger than a football, larger than a 9 months pregnant lady.
We went ashore to a lovely hotel, fans, deep chairs turbaned and uniformed servants quiet efficient service,  this was the way to live.  We had a walk around the town, but we wee somewhat cautious as there was
a cholera epidemic in full swing, but we had had our "shots"  - We saw snake charmers, mongoose fighting snakes and when we saw the nuns on board the ship I bought the organdy place mats  beautifully embroidered by the children at the convent for my mother.

Bombay was the next port, for water only, but we were held up for some reason, much to our delight.  We were issued with very larger certificates issued by the Government to allow us to buy 2 bottles of beer in the town said to be "dry" due to prohibition.  Several natives having recently died having drunk home made gin.
We went ashore with the 3rd engineer and his wife and saw the sights.  A man with no legs on a skate board propelling himself along the road with bandaged knuckles, people sleeping on charpoys on the pavement.
The roads alive with Bombay tigers = 4 inch long cockroaches, this did not stop us going to a Chinese restaurant which had an impressive turbaned Sikh doorman and having firstly inspect the kitchen we had a really marvellous meal before returning to the ship, past the Indian navy patrols who looked very smart in whites.
From Bombay we went to Mena and loaded for the Isle of Grain where again we had 3 days at it because the customs would not come out to us,  we did not like this, a very bleak anchorage, no scenery only the angled masts of ammunition ships still loaded sunk in world war II in view and off course the constant need to keep an eye on the coast station in case they called us up by Aldiss lamp.
Off again to the Gulf to load at Mena where we took the usual 20 hours to deballast and load, then off to Swansea where we had the Bank holiday Monday evening dance at Burtons with our steady 3 telephonists from the G.P.O.

The next loading port was "Back to Banjas"  where we loaded to Levera France where we were only 34 hours between pilot in and pilot our the only memorable thing in this port was seeing some our engineers
sampling the local brews at the Postes Hotel, it seemed to happen more often in France than anywhere.  You start at the top left hand shelf and work across and down having one of each,  Creme de Menth, Benedictine, Aquavite, Oozo, Absinthe, Grand Marnier, Apricot brandy etc. etc. until all fall down or the Gendarme came.
We then returned to Tripoli, Lebanon to load, but as the cargo was sold at sea and Lands End for orders we found that Esso had bought the cargo for discharge at Fawley.  We had hoped for engine repairs but the
expeditors would not allow this as after we discharged we went to anchor in Southampton waters and we saw many passenger vessels in the 2 days including Olympia, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, I'le de France and United states - all very impressive.

The stop over at the Suez canal was used to have the ships hull painted with tar, cheaper than paint we had used previously then after loading in Mena we returned to the Isle of Grain, then back to the canal where we had a memorable party whilst waiting for the canal transit.  The Chief Officer was ex Saint Line and despite having only one kidney taught us to do the Samba "properly" When we arrived at Mena there was 23 ships at anchor awaiting a berth and 8 on the berth loading, within 36 hours of our arrival we were
alongside and found that this the 18th day of the month and we were the 181st ship to load - a record.

From Mena we went to Genoa and found that the Coral sea US Flat top plus escorts were in port - a good time had by all in the Union Bar, Zanzibar Joe Louis - London.  We helped a couple of us Navy cadets who
were all fall down back to their ship having to dodge the shore patrols who to us were 7ft snowdrops, as they were too handy with their night sticks (baby baseball bats - 3bs)  It was at Genoa I bought a bottle of cherry brandy for my father.
Out to Mena again this time to load for Little Aden  - what a place  hot, dry  dusty another last place created.
The London Victory was also on the jetty so there was much ship visiting and our Lecki lost his sock and our ship lost the silver cutleryWe felt sorry for the army types straight from home, white as snow being
given runs through loose sand by bawling sergeants when naughtily the soldiers had to do runs carrying buckets of sand.  We were glad that we were not doing that sort of National Service.After we had discharged we spent 36 hours at anchor changing 2 liners, all  deck officers not on watch below to be engineerslabourers.
We did find time for me to have to take the life boat to Conquest bay for sand which
we could use when cleaning our wooden decks.Unfortunately when we put the life boat into the water there was a swell, the steel block of the fall unshipped and almost knocked me out certainly gave me a lump which would teach me a lesson .The getting of bags of sand from the beach was also a problem with
waves breaking, the bags became soaked and heavy before we could get to the life boat which was having difficulty keeping station no matter whether bow or stern to the beach, in one case added danger of propeller hitting the crew, also we had to make sure we did not broach or get put ashore, we did however manage to get the job done even if shattered at the end.

From Little Aden back to the "home port" Mena to load for the Isle of Grain and home on leave having done 31,654 sea miles this voyage and
a total of  105,560 miles on the Majesty.


Strictly illegal by the G.P.O. rules the Sparks used to put our calls for G.L.O.F call sign - this had not been issued to any special ship but any of our fleet who heard it would respond and we would get the latest gossip and crew lists, such as:

Captain Ward, ex Eagle oil/San Dimetrio fame had retired but could not live on a pension
of 17 p.w. so he had joined L.O.F. both he and his wife were said to each be 1.1/2 bottle a day men.On this occasion his habit had been to carry a budgie to sea with him and in the evening to say good night to it, one evening the budgie pecked his nose and next morning was found dead at the bottom of its cage.

Our 2nd engineer from the Isle of Man had a furious temper and on one occasion threw his 36" wheel spanned right over the main engine, it hit a donkey man on the head, cutting it wide open, there was blood everywhere and the man all but senseless.  The 2nd engineer then word
blasted the man for putting his blood on the best wheel spanner on the ship.

Our 2nd mate was being called for cargo watch at midnight and the Chief Engineer simply opened a beer bottle, rammed it in the sleeping 2nd mates mouth who promptly sat bolt upright with bottle in position frantically, bug eyed, trying to understand why he was drowning.

C.E.D. Brierly - Chief officer was a remarkable man - born to better things pre first world war - went to Dartsmouth, served at Jutland as a mid shipman and came into a fortune in the
early 20's  he lived like a lord, he ended in a Paddington garrett grilling kippers over bed springs.  Went to India as a paint salesman but had little success selling beefeater paint in a
Hindu country.  Joined the Indian Navy World War II, served  up the Gulf, divorced from his wife and married Joan a doctors widow who had been in East Africa.  She then was in charge of BBC typing pool - beautiful people.  He was harbour master for a while before getting the 2nd mates ticket when he was 52 years old.  Finally getting his Masters ticket when 55 years old.  His trick with apprentices was to speak Latin to one  e.g. Chris - reply Ego and you got either a nasty job or a pleasant surprise.

Whilst on leave I had advertised for a sextant in the North Wales weekly news, one chap brought a 3ft brown paper parcel to the farm, it was a 1708 octant, in ebony, brass, ivory - no mirrors just peep sight and he wanted 5 for it.  I later told Brierly about it and got the instrument bought
for him.  The only other reply I had was from the Alexandra pub in Pen maen Mawr  I bought it on the spot a 3 circle mate sextant for 14 it was to serve me very well for the rest of my sea going career.

Capt. Muir Ex- Ben Line 2nd mate caught by Japanese in Hong Kong interned for all the war said he weighed more then than ever since, due to just reading and playing bowls.  He was a remarkable man and insisted that his officers learnt the job of their next promotion in a practical way.  One favourite expression J.C was infallible.  The Pope may be infallible I am not-- check my courses!"  He did not like parties on "Ma ship" unless he was invited, once invited he would be the author of the feast and leave. Sadly he was to be drowned when his ship sank off Genoa.

Capt. F Osler- Immaculate dress white uniform, really looked the part, we knew he spent hours pacing his deck out side but seemed to know everything that went on.  If the 2nd cook spilt the soup in galley  Capt.
Osler knew before the chief cook.  Capt. Osler had his war time experiences mentioned in despatches in the Crete champagne charging up hill with a borrowed 303 with the army - later on the Russian rum
arrived in Russia in the autumn - frozen in for the winter, spring and summer spent discharging then loading only to be froze in again before they could head home.

Years later the Chief Officer on his ship was told by his Sparks at 6am that some mad German sparks had their captain aboard at first the British sparks ignored the German but as he was so persistent the British Sparks told the British mate - who was incredulous, but later had the captain's cabin checked. he was not there so a full ship check made from stern tostern  - still no captain.  The German was correct, the story being Captain Osler had gone to the ship side on his deck to throw his sandwiches over side, after seeing the 3rd mate at say 2200 hrs.  Capt. Osler stumbled, went over the side into the sea from a height of about
45 feet, the ship doing some 14 knots,  the water must have felt like concrete.  This happened in the Red Sea and up to 2am the Captain tried to get the attention of several ships but failed until at about 2am the German 2nd mate went to throw his sandwiches over the side and he heard a noise, he thought it was a
seagull, but seagulls don't should "Help" in English.  Quick clock turn executed and the Captain was picked up.  The Red Sea having a  high density of sharks Captain Osler was lucky to have fallen in after the sunset
feeding period and being fished out before sharks breakfast time.

When we were in Aden for the first time we had fun getting Sulphuric Acid. The 3rd mate had made a radio controlled submarine out of spare parts e.g. Hull made from biscuit tin cut and shaped, but he had no acid for the battery.  We went to a garage and were told not possible and a British nurse had had acid thrown in her face by an Arab so the sale of all acid had been stopped without a permit. t Try the police station in  Steamer Point.  Not possible- must go to the District Commissioner at Crater - a taxi away we went and on the DC return from lunch we were given a permit and told to go to the local soap works.  We found the factory and climbed knee deep through soft brown bell bar type soap to the Indian Managers
office.  Certainly how much do you want 2-3 carboys.  Please --only ONE PINT IS ALL WE NEED.

In Steamer Point amongst shops filled with cameras, souvenirs luxuries for passenger ships, some shops had pet gazelles which were beautiful delicate creatures .  We also saw ( for me the first time )a man with
Elephantiasis - his left leg from the hip to the floor was trunk like an elephant's foot.  He had no toes visible just 3 toenails like an elephant.  The people about took no notice, the men walked about in pairs holding hands, wearing tartan d'hoti, white skull caps and swinging loaded sticks.

It was normal practice on all ships for us to have lifeboat drill every Saturday afternoon at sea, the time was usually 1615 hours.  The whistle would blow, everyone went at speed to their station  checked off boats lowered to embarkation deck raised, housed and secured then we would have a fire drill,  2 hoses rigged at points nominated  at the last instant anywhere on deck and 2 fire extinguishers were tested.  Emergency generator in the focs'tle head started and salvage pump started with the compressed air.  With a little practice we could set a record of about 12 minutes for the total operation - usually it took 20 minutes - sometimes a lot longer.
We were off Cape St Vincent and I was on top of No 2 lifeboat getting ready to secure when rehoused when the boat swung out, then in then out again SNAP the fall had parted the boat was going down  Off I jumped just reaching the awning - crash of lifeboat from 55ft into the sea, then the job of circling to recover the launch a second boat to bring the first alongside and leave on deck to rest on hazle/wicker fenders, stow No. 1 lifeboat and proceed to Port Said.  This operation took 1.1/2 hours

                              MEDICATION at Sea

Despite before going to sea we had received a full spectrum of inoculations it became obvious quite quickly that despite our yellow  W.H.O. book being up to date no country would accept anothers say so that we had
been injected - or else they required more frequent injections than those stated in the W.H.O. book.As apprentices we had to get all the crew to the saloon where the Doctor was waiting for them.  I realised that it paid to be the first to be inoculated because with a crew of 53 the Doctor only had 3 needs so get in before they got blunt. - on one occasion I remember the Topez who was frightened to see the doctor being held in a vice like grip as he screamed his head off.  The doctor ended by holding the hyperdermic like a dagger
and only succeeding to pierce the 3rd stab.   We had when going to West Africa to take revolting tablets to give us protection against yellow Fever.
Weekly we were given Board of Trade lime juice - foul stuff but said that it was a requirement to prevent scurvy.The crew were frequently at the Chief Stewards cabin for 0900 sick call, the main remedies were Black jollop to keep the bowels open  Aspirin for everything else except for injections of penicillin, or put ashore.
We were not always able to get really sick crew ashore, we had a crew member who died, his family in India were advised by Radio and they gave permission for burial at sea.  In the meantime his body was kept in the ships main fridge with rest of the meat - well we were in the Red Sea.  Radio permission was received from Suez doctor to proceed with burial at sea once they had been given the facts.  At twilight we pulled a little way out of the main shipping lane, officers in white in 2 rows behind the crew, a few words only from the Captain at the request of the crews holyman - we then stepped back and a Mohammedan funeral took place - just of Jeddah as it happened.  The ship was stopped and- Indian flag, canvas wrapped shackle,
fire bar weighed body floated off a painting stage into the sea - very sad poignant day on the ship - But once "Full ahead" spirits were quickly raised.


Joined  23/11/53 Left 9/2/55
Port of Registry :- London
Built 1952
Class 100A1 Lloyds carriage of Petroleum in bulk
Deadweight tonnage   18070(s)    17512  (w)
draught  30' 05.3/4" (summer)      TPI 7442
draught   29'10.1/4   (winter)          TPI  7412
Light ship draught   12'03fwd    16'01aft

Length  BP 525'0    Beam Mld  71'0"     Depth Mld   39'03
            OA 553'6             Evt   71.4"
Reg Dimensions  533.0 x 71.35 x 39.1
Suez canal tonnage   Gross  12382.89    Net   9561.63
Panama                    Gross  12337.77    Net   8827.13

Heights Light Draught
Foremast  84'07   Mainmast  102'04       Funnel  58'07
Speed       loaded  12.1/2 knots  light  13.1/2 knots
Anchors Byres stockless weight
100 cwt 2qr  2lb port
100       0     14 starboard
85        0      0  spare
37         2     14 stream
Cable port and starts each 165 fathoms  2.3/8" Tayco
Steam windlass   Clark Chapman  12" diam x 14" stroke
Winches    Steam, extended warping ends
Ford 1 x 8" x 12"   Aft  1 x 8" x 12"    Poop  1 x 8" x 14"

Forward 1     length  54'7" swl  5 tons
         Aft  2                   27'6"        5 
    fidley  1                   39'6"        4

Compass  magnetic stand  aft  docking bridge
Mk II reflector binnacle (monkey island)
Gyro  Sperry (Mk XIV - lease lend)
D.F    Marconi lodeston     Echo sounder
  Marconi seagraph
Radio  Marconi mercury electra ocean spa
Auto Alarms  Marconi vigilan
Patent log     Walkers triden electric
Sounding machine  Kelvin Bollomly and Baird type- hand
propelling machinery
Markers:-  North Eastern Marine - Single acking,
6 cylinder Doxford
670m/m   2320 m/m  BHP 6800  Av revs  119
Propeller  Solid bronze 4 x 17'8" blades  13.43 mean pitch
102.4 sq ft expanded surface Linislip
Boilers 2 scotch 18'6" ext. diam x 12; long  total heating surface
60.3 sq. ft working pressure 150lbs
Installed by Richardson Westgarth - Hartlepool
Pumping installation  4 cargo pumps horizontal duplex steam pumps 
400tph each by Howard Taylor
Suction pipes  12; x 1  12" suction in each tank

Discharge       12" amid ship   10" stern discharge
Drain pump      10" x 7" x 12"  Thomas Lamont